Friday 11 February 2011

After 17 Years in Turkey...

I've been living in Turkey for 17 years and I won't pretend it's been easy. I was born in England but moved to Turkey when I was in my 30s. I often thought about returning to England but for one reason or another the fates have conspired to keep me here.

Have you ever asked yourself why your life is the way it is? I mean have you asked yourself why you are where you are? Why have things worked out that way?

When I look at things, the culture here is quite difficult for me to live with. I find it challenging in so many ways. The people here are very nice but stubbornly set in their ways and don't get me started about this being a logic-free country!

There is a point to this post that I think you'll get a lot out of...

It is that I've concluded that the reason I am here is to live through these difficulties and why...?

I am slowly finally learning how to keep calm under stress, hold in my thoughts and respect others even though they seem to act so differently from me. The best way to relate with people is not to react even when they act totally illogically. There is no point in trying to tell anyone, especially from a different culture, that they are unbelievably blind to the obvious.

Today I am sure that being here, despite the constant stress and culture clash, it has forced me to confront the intollerance within me. I am the one who is meant to progress and I can't make others do the same.

So maybe the time to leave is approaching as the lesson is being learnt. I hope this will make me a better person.

So next time you feel like screaming at someone or lecturing them why they are completely wrong, think again and laugh and let it go...

It's not impossible. I am finally letting it go, there is less frustration that way.

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your growth and observations. By you progressing and shifting your perspective, they will change too.
    As you suspend your judgements, you'll be able to see how beautifully perfect they are, as they are, in spite of the differences.

    wishing you peace and love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks heather for your comment.

    Our perspective is constantly changing isn't it? No matter how long I am here in this world I feel it's all about learning and realizing then learning some more. In the end it will all make sense even the problems we go through are meant to help us grow and move forward to where we need to be.

    Thanks again for your insights.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful points! When the mind gets disorganized, everything else kind of follows, and it’s all downhill from there.

    "I hope this will make me a better person." YES I HOPE TOO.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to you Business Coach for your helpful comments..

    ReplyDelete